There has been a lot of debate on the temperature of water especially during the point of drinking. You would have known that drinking warm water the instant you wake up have great health benefits. But did you know that drinking iced water during other times of the day can be dangerous as well?
The understanding on the temperature of water is simple. Warm water helps to loosen your skin and open up the pores while cold one helps to close pores and constrict it. Using the same concept, the principle can be applied to your digestive tracts as well.
When you drink cold water, your body will need to generate more energy in order to regulate its temperature to the liquid you consumed.
Energy is needed to absorb nutrients and to digest the food you eat. If energy is channelled to regulate temperature, your body starts to lose water.
When cold water restrict digestion, it restricts your body from hydrating properly which can shrink your blood vessels. If this happens regularly, blood circulation becomes more restricted as well.
When eating, you tend to gulp cold water. The cold temperature that you consume will solidify the fat from the food which makes it extremely difficult to digest. In the long term, the undesired fats do not get processed which could lead to blocked arteries.
Besides that, it can cause excess mucus which will directly detriment your immune system’s functions. This will cause you to be easily exposed to the threats of flu and other diseases.
While cold water has been known to burn calories, it means your digestive system needs to work harder as well. Hence, try to use other methods to burn calories instead. After all, warm water has the following benefits:
- It helps to stimulate your digestive enzymes which helps in improving your digestive system.
- It quickens the hydration of your tissues
- Warm water can improve your bowel movements especially if you drink a glass of warm lemon water when you wake up.
- It helps to break down the food you eat faster and enhances natural detoxification by cleaning your vital organs like the kidney and your skin cells.
- It helps to reduce your cravings for sugar.