The eyes are among the most important organs in the body. It is regarded as one of the most vital organ among the likes of the heart, liver and kidney. That which makes the eyes so crucial is because if you lose your sight, the implications can be both physical and psychological.
Vision and eye health
Ophthalmology is the area in medicine which is especially concerned with the eye and its related problems. Anyone will at one time or another face problem with the eyes and that is where specialist treatment would be required.
Eye treatment in Malaysia
In Malaysia, most hospitals and medical centres have their own ophthalmology departments which treat patients with problems in vision health.
Common eye diseases
There are many types of eye diseases which occur among people. Particularly in Malaysia, the following types of eye conditions are most common:
- Glaucoma – When there is constant excessive pressure in the eye. This is usually caused by a progressive damage inflicted onto the optic nerve caused by a group of disorders. The vision loss here is a result of the loss of the nerve tissue
- Amblyopia – Otherwise known as lazy eye, it is a very common problem among children. This type of retinal disorder can be quite difficult to treat and using corrective glasses might not be the absolute solution. It happens when one eye suffers lack or loss of development
- Cataracts – This is a very common condition especially with people above 40 years old. It has been recorded to be the main cause of blindness the world over. When this occurs, the natural lens of the eyes become clouded. In fact, cataracts contribute to the highest number of cases as compared to some of the top conditions collectively
- Macular Degeneration– Known in short as AMD or AMRD, it is a common condition among the elderly. It is one of the most common causes that lead to vision loss with those in this age group. It occurs through a gradual deterioration of the central vision
Types of Eye treatment and consultation
There are several types of eye treatment that are catered for patients with different needs. Among them are:
- General Consultation – This type of treatment can be obtained mostly from the family physicians and practitioners. If you are experiencing allergy conditions like eye-redness or swelling, the GP would be able to assist by prescribing special eye drops, anti-allergy medication and such
- Surgery – This treatment will be required if you have a more serious condition. There are a few types of eye surgeries that you can look for. This includes cataract surgery, lid repair surgery, orbital surgery and others
- LASIK – Laser surgery is one of the most popular types of corrective surgery for the eyes in recent years. It uses laser technology which is known as Laser-Assisted in Situ Keratomileusis. Another type of corrective surgery is known as photorefractive keratectomy or PRK in short. This treatment is usually adopted for cosmetic purposes where the patient wants to be free from wearing eye glasses. LASIK is commonly used to correct conditions like hyperopia, astigmatism and myopia
- Corrective Treatment – You will visit a general optician or optometrist if you are looking for corrective treatment. This is the most affordable option where it is a very straightforward process. When you have a condition like myopia and astigmatism, the optician will check your level and then prescribe a set of glasses for you
Eye doctors in Malaysia
Ophthalmologists have several areas of expertise including cataract surgeons, ocular oncologists, pediatric ophthalmologists and many others. Among the specialists in Malaysia are:
- Dr Stephen Chung Soon Hee – Dr Stephen is one of the pioneers of corrective surgery in Malaysia. Attached with Optimax Kuala Lumpur, Dr Stephen had his first PRK procedure in 1995. To date, he has since carried out more than 20,000 laser procedures where he is known to be among the best surgeons in the region.
- Dr. A. D. Vanniasingham – Attached with Pantai Hospital in Kuala Lumpur, Dr Vanniasingham has previously carried out procedures like eyelid surgery or Blepharoplasty, ophthalmic plastic and reconstructive surgery, orbital fractures and cataract surgery. He is an experienced eye doctor who has underwent training in oculoplastic with the Royal Victorian Eye & ear Hospital in Melbourne, Australia and the Ramathibodi Hospital in Bangkok, Thailand as well as in Current Concepts in Oculoplastic Surgery in Singapore.
- Dr. V Ulagantheran R Viswanathan – An ophthalmology specialist with Subang Jaya Medical Centre, Dr Ulagantheran has treated patients with eye problems including trauma, cataracts, retinal disorders and AMD or age-related macular degeneration. He is experienced in cataract surgery, phacoemulsification cataract procedures, pneumatic retinopexy, scleral buckling surgery, vitrectomy and IVI or Intravitreal Injection.
- Dr. Wong Tet Fah – Dr Wong is attached with the Subang Jaya Medical Centre where he specializes in ophthalmology in areas like cataracts, myopia and astigmatism. He has previously carried out procedures like eye muscle surgery, LASIK eye surgery, Cyclocryotherapy (CCT) and refractive surgery, among others.
- Dr. Kenneth Fong Choong Sian – Dr Wong is attached with the Sunway Medical Centre. He treats patients with astigmatism, cataracts, complex eye problems, degenerative myopia, several types of eye infections, glaucoma and AMD (age-related macular degeneration). On top of that, Dr Wong is experienced in nearsightedness, retinal disorders and conjunctivitis where he has carried out procedures like cataract and eye surgeries, laser eye surgery, retinal detachment surgery, Trabeculectomy and many others.
- Dr. Puan Sri Datuk P Selvanayagi – Dr Slevanayagi treats patients at the Mahkota Medical Centre. She is a specialist in anterior segment diseases, Cataracts, Glaucoma and Baggy eyes where she has carried out procedures like cataract surgery, glaucoma surgery, Pterygium surgery and Blepharoplasty. Besides that, she is a member of the Malaysian Ophthalmological Society, the Malaysia Medical Council and the Malaysian Medical Association.
- Dr. Ainur Rahman bin Dato’ Setia Dr Anuar Masduki – Dr Ainur is an ophthalmologist with Vista Eye Specialist Centre. He treats patients with corneal disorders, myopia, presbyopia, cataracts and other eye problems. Among the procedures that he has performed includes cornea and refractive surgery, LASIK eye surgery, Pterygium excision with autograft, Phacoemulsification cataract procedure, cataract surgery and multifocal lens implantation.
- Dr. Ronald Arun Das– Dr Ronald Arun is attached with the International Specialist Eye Centre in Kuala Lumpur who treats patients with eye related conditions like macular degeneration, retinal disorders cataracts and age-related macular degeneration. Dr Ronald has previously done cataract surgery, implantable contact lens surgery, angiography and retinal photocoagulation therapy and Scleral buckling surgery.