In the modern world, medical check-ups are very crucial because it helps you to detect any problems you have concerning your health before it happens. Any signs can be determined and then treated so that you do not run into any health problems in the future. Whether you are an adult man or an elderly woman, there are specific medical check-up plans catered for you.
When it comes to health, there is no room for any compromise. For anyone, getting a health screening or check up is the most basic thing that must be done once every year or so. For some, this would mean involving a blood test (or screening).
What is a blood screening test?
A blood test is needed to see what is actually going on inside your body. In fact, it is always a part of a medical checkup to ascertain if anything is wrong inside. The doctors will use the results of a blood test to tell you if you have any medical condition or if you have any form of diseases. Generally, here is what a blood screening test will cover:
- Organs – the doctor will evaluate if your liver, heart, thyroid and kidneys are functioning efficiently. Your blood test will show if any of them have any risk or problems.
- Diagnosis – This is the test that will result in knowing if you have diseases such as anemia, heart diseases, HIV, cancer or diabetes (most common)
- Heart Disease – Results will determine if you are at any risk of heart disease or related problems
- Blood system – Doctors can tell if your blood is clotting well or otherwise
- Medical Treatments – If you are on any form of medication, a blood test will asses if they are working in your body
- Allergies – A blood test is essential to determine if your body is allergic to certain types of agents.
How are blood tests carried out?
A blood test is a standard procedure carried out during a medical or body checkup. Usually, a small amount of blood is taken from you either through your arm or fingers. They will then store it in the tube and then sent to the blood lab for diagnosis. It usually does not take more than a day for the results to be finalized and then analyzed unless in situations where there are complications.
Best hospitals in Malaysia to do blood screening
Most hospitals and medical centers across Malaysia will provide you with a blood screening test service whether as a standalone or a packaged service. When you carry out a medical checkup, a blood screen will usually be included. However, you can actually request a standalone blood test to ascertain what is going on in your blood. In most cases, you might want to consider the following:
- Cost – If you are doing a checkup, there really is no need to go for the big names in healthcare like Prince Court Medical Center or Gleneagles Medical Center since the processes are quite the same.
- Convenience – What you want out of a blood screening test is to get the process over and done with quickly. A location near to you (or convenient) would be sufficient.
Below are some of the best places to get a blood screening test done.
Government Hospitals – The most common places to go for a full medical check-up is at private hospitals and medical centres. Take note that most government hospitals do not offer such services as they are not set up for walk-ins. You can however go to government clinics as they now provide free medical check-up for Malaysians above 40 years of age under the government-initiated SOCSO package.
Private Hospitals – If you do not mind the cost, private hospitals and medical centres do provide comprehensive health screening services. This includes the likes of KPJ Hospitals, Gleneagles Hospital and others, all of which have their own respective packages and specialized services in these areas.
HealthScan Malaysia – Located in Kuala Lumpur, HealthScan Malaysia prides itself to be a one-stop world-class diagnostic and medical centre in the country. This organisation offers a wide range of diagnostic packages which can be catered to people from all walks of life particularly for health evaluation. The Premium Package comes with a comprehensive health scan that covers cardiology, general health, dietary and lung function test, among others. For a bit more, you can opt for the Premium Plus package which comes with all the services in the Premium package plus H.Pylori & Tumour markers and Ultrasound Pelvis check.
BP Healthcare – This organisation is perhaps the most renowned name in this sector. BP Healthcare was set up in 1982 where it operates 70 laboratories and 50 diagnostic centres across the country. It provides a holistic set of services for checks that include eyes, dental and food testing. Started out as a diagnostic centre, BP Healthcare’s flagship services now involves primarily in health screening which includes annual personal check-ups, health screening packages for families, focused checks for women and even pre-marital health screenings. Besides that, BP Healthcare provides cervical cancer screening and allergy profiling for those concerned as well, among others.
Pathlab – Pathlab has been established for many years. It was set up in 1952 in Singapore and about 20 years later in Malaysia where it now provides a broad range of medical check-up services for the public. Offering total healthcare solution packages, it has a large network of medical centres across the country as well as in neigbouring countries like Cambodia, Hong Kong, Thailand and Indonesia. Health screening packages are the flagship services provided which can be catered to individuals and families while it has corporate health screening packages as well. Apart from that, Pathlab provides allergy testing and profiling and food and chemical screening services for those who require them.
MJ Life – The MJ Life Screening Centre is located in Bandar Utama which started in Taiwan in 1988. For a standard package, you will be able to get a comprehensive and almost complete medical screening service and report that includes Blood Glucose test, blood test, HIV screening and many others.
Gribbles Pathology Malaysia
The Gribbles name came from Australia where it was established back in 1936. It started in Malaysia in 1996 and has since grown to become the largest provider of diagnostic laboratory services in the private medical sector. Gribbles Pathology Malaysia offers its services through state-of-the-art equipment and provides tests to more than 1.5 million patients annually while supporting medical testing for over 10,000 centers and practitioners in the country. In most cases, you can actually get a blood screening report through a private medical practitioner to Gribbles Pathology.
Blood Donation in Malaysia
It is highly recommended that any adult should donate blood at some point unless you are unfit to do so. In order to donate blood, you must:
- At least be 45kg
- Not on any form of long-term medication or treatment
- Has not been intoxicated or took any form of medicine in the last 24 hours leading to the blood donation session
- Has at least 5 hours of sleep and not fasting
- Physically fit
- Not have multiple sex partners
- Not be homosexual, bisexual or involved in any form of drug abuse
One thing to note, if you have had a new tattoo, body piercing or acupuncture in the last 12 months, you are NOT eligible for blood donation.
You can go to the National Blood Center (Pusat Darah Negara) if you would like to donate blood. Take note that there are also many blood donation drive being held at shopping malls, universities, health centers, community centers and such where you can do the same. The process for blood donation is very straightforward.
- Bring along your MyKad and register
- You will fill up a form and answer some questions
- They will then determine your blood type and then you wait for your turn
- In some cases, they will check your weight and height
- You go to bed and then they will draw your blood
- The process takes about 15 minutes and then they will complete the process
- You will usually be given a hot drink and some biscuits after that
- If you wish to donate more blood, you can do so after 56 days